Monday 16 May 2011

Longitude or Latitude.....




....my attitude is gratitude
Victoria Wood







This blog's title is pinched from a Victoria Wood sketch. (I prefer to say its an homage - please say with French accent for effect)
One day I would like to write a book about this. It will be loosely titled "Things that Christians knew already but the rest of the world thinks they were the first to discover it but Christians don't exactly live it anyway so no wonder everyone else thinks that they discovered it." It's a bit unwieldy for a title I'll give you that but, its a work in progress.
After years of suspecting as much, scientists have now found actual evidence that a life filled with gratitude actually has health benefits. See here for one of the main studies.
When I was a child in church, still balancing my crochet hat precariously on the back of my head and trying desperately to learn to play guitar without any discernible talent because that was what young Christian people did, we would sing a hymn and, at every chorus, tuck our book under our arm, (we were too poor for an OHP) clap loudly and sing "Count your Blessings". Now you see, everyone is jumping on the bandwagon. Gratitude lowers blood pressure, helps you to sleep, improves your relationships and grateful people live longer. In Luke 17 v 11 Jesus makes the comparison between gratitude, faith and health. Hah! Interesting don't you think that an untrained carpenter living 2000 years ago should have such insight. (Cue dramatic "dang, dang, dang" music)
As usual, I'm not talking from a position of nah nah, I've got this right. When we used to sing "When you look at others with their lands and gold" I used to think - wish it was me and I don't think I've progressed that much really. Still, like most stuff, just because I don't do it all the time doesn't mean it's not true. Gratitude at its most effective when you struggle to find something to be grateful about. At those times, it sometimes helps me to make a list. Watch Woody Allen get over himself.




On another subject. If I were a maths teacher and one of my pupils (who also happens to be Fruit of Womb Two) posted on Facebook "If all exams are that hard - I'm going to run away and live in the woods" then gets 30 likes   - I would be slightly concerned about the results. Just saying.
On a more positive note, Head of House and Yours Truly celebrate 20 years of the old marriage on Wednesday. And they said it wouldn't last. Well some of my Mum's friends did.  Anyway, a chum has sorted us out a waterfront table at the er "Waterfront". Looking forward to it. Don't get out much at our time of life.
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig