Sunday 30 December 2012

Cinematic

Electric Cinema

I would like to make a complaint please. The cinema this year has basically been rubbish. It has, really, you know it has. I mean for normal people, it has been less than inspiring. It has been fine if you like films where people get their brains pulled down through their noses with grappling hooks or films where people dress in costumes and brood in the dark a lot. Also ubiquitous were films where people drink loads and burp for twenty minutes. There was also a lot of Michael Fassbender's man parts. (and he did a lot of brooding in the dark and drinking as well  so congratulations Mr Fassbender. Value for your money there, everyone.) But what about normal films? What about Rom-Coms? Who is writing scripts like Nora Ephron? Certainly not the "genius" behind The Hangover 2.  I am a miserable crow but you already knew that. There was a time when the Oscars were due and HOH and my good self would have seen all the main contenders and have strong and loud opinions about who should win. This year it was sort of "meh" which was only confirmed by "The Artist" (a Singing in the Rain rip-off) being treated like it was as original as something from Outer Space. I suppose my film choices are influenced by my faith but it would be a mistake to think that this makes me a big girls blouse when it comes to the movies. I don't like screen violence or cruelty but I do like sharp satire and emotionally intelligent films. I think these were thin on the ground this year but for what it's worth - these are my top six

Young Adult 
Charlize Theron acts mean and nasty. Superb performance. No learning curve at all. Bleak yet funny.


The Cloonster playing fat and against type. Best Dad run ever in a movie. Hawaii is gorgeous of course but not in a picture book way. 

Ben Affleck - secret agent. Based on a true story. Bottom clenching tension at the attempt to get American Embassy staff out of post revolutionary Iran.

I know it's men in costumes but it's funny and sharp and Hulk is amazing. A family film as well. This is not a bad thing.

A bit like Woody Allen never went woossy. Delpy and Rock are nice and confused and her family are suitably French. 

Just really funny. That is all.

SHARE:

5 comments

  1. The last time we went to the cinema it really wasn't worth the two and a half hour round trip.
    I saw the actor/producer of said movie directly in front of me in a line up at the airport...I bit my tongue so hard it nearly bled.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked The Pirates too!

    And I thought this one was good (Snow White & the Huntsman):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-UMNSVX7_I

    And now I am waiting with SUCH PATIENCE for the new Sherlock Holmes series to FINALLY come through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The problem with Sherlock is that it hasn't even started filming yet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What? Noooo! You're kidding! Couldn't they have just hurried Dr Watson onto the set, hairy feet and all?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, not kidding. March 2013 filming for late 2013 showing is what I had heard :(

      Delete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig