Tuesday 28 May 2013

Meeja

I am updating you on my media forays this week - whether you like it or not.

Watched... Star Trek  Into Darkness

Late to this party, I know. Well - it was better than ok - just.

Benedict Cumberbatch steals every scene he is in by choosing to act rather than just be a movie star like everyone else does.
Simon Pegg's Scottish accent aside - he is the next best thing in it.
There is a frankly annoying scene where Alice Eve who is playing a frankly annoying character appears in her bra and grundys for no particular reason as far as I could see.
There is also a preposterous bit where the baddie has been set up to be superhuman and faster, higher stronger etc etc, yet is then pursued by what seemed to me to be a borderline podgy Spock. Spock not only catches him but then proceeds to knock seven bells out of him!
I know what I sound like but I did like it - honest I did. I especially liked the bit where the baddie said "My Name is........." and someone behind me gasped. Must have been a Trekkie. 
Have certainly spent worse times in the cinema so happy to recommend. PS Don't do what we did and waste your money on 3D.

Re Read - A Place of Greater Safety

Everyone quite rightly makes a big fuss about Wolf Hall and Bring up the Bodies. This though is my favourite Hilary Mantel. It's about the French Revolution. I don't know if you need to know a bit of history to enjoy it - I did this period at A level and then did some further study. I love it though. A warning - it is massive and might look a bit off-putting. For me, it rattles along like a train.


Nearly finally

I don't know if you have seen this furore (is that a word?) but Disney is in a bit of trouble. Merida, who is the heroine of their children's movie Brave has now joined the happy band of Disney princesses. To do this she had to have a makeover - apparently. This is the transformation.
Spot the difference? Of course you do. Disney has decided to bring sexy back. To a children's heroine! Stop it Disney! I haven't seen the film but I am told by young girls of my acquaintance that it was about being yourself and not being forced to be something that you are not. AS LONG AS BEING YOURSELF IS BEING A FOXY MINX. If you are interested, there is a campaign here to get Disney to change it's mind.

Certainly finally

Sorry to be so photo heavy but this is doing the rounds of Twitter and making all the girlies in my daughter's class laugh a lot. It's a photo of Benedict Cumberbatch as a baby and he looks EXACTLY THE SAME. Bye Bye



SHARE:

5 comments

  1. BCs mother is Wanda Ventham. Some of us oldies remember her as the blonde in the Lotus Eaters [BBC series, 1972] My OH [a teenager at the time] thought she was wonderful back then!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recognise them both I think. Very handsome couple and she is particularly lovely. Your OH is right :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I seem to be among those who remember Wanda from the Prisoner and The Two Ronnies, not to mention [sotto voce] "Carry On". Despite the outrageous plotting I enjoyed ST and BC's portrayal of Spock's killer before being reincarnated to provide Jim with another shirt ripping moment.

    On a different note, I noticed a reference to you enjoyment of the "Vicar's Wife" upon which my mind went to past Greats "David Niven, Cary Grant and Loretta Young, not to mention Sarah Haden [Doctor Kildare] before realising that I had demoted David Niven. Happens all the time I hear you say. I think what I'm saying that nothing changes in reality. Everything that we're experiencing now has happened before [only the degree and how we approach things being the difference. There's a suggestion that we should ban the rule of the misuse of the split infinitive. But just as Kirk Boldly went so, today, did Hilary and Tenzing Norgay 60 years ago. If it was banned would such heroes be ignored [Kirk notwithstanding.

    I think there's a message in that somewhere?? Enjoyable as usual, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh you just rescued that. The BISHOPS Wife is one of may favourite films ever!

      Delete
  4. Disney need a clip round the ear. PAH!

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig