Monday 13 October 2014

Learning


I have been to London. Yes I have and I have learnt things. I went to the Association of Christian Writers Writers' Day about Christian Fiction. It was truly interesting and I took notes and everything. Some of what I learnt was less than interesting except to me, but, since when have I ever applied that filter to the things that appear here?

  1. I have learnt that I cannot "network" or make polite conversation with people that I don't know. Can I just apologise to all those lovely people who tried to come and chat to me. It's not that I am completely self obsessed. It's just that I was so terrified while you were speaking to me that I couldn't remember anything that you said and therefore had to fall back on talking about myself.
  2. I learnt that when I am having a bit of a flush and someone moves your chair from the back of the room by the door with a slight breeze to the front of the room so that we can all be closer or something, it is not terribly Christian to curse under my breath and it was just as easy to do what I eventually did and quietly move the chair back.
  3. Lots of people are cleverer and a lot further on than I am.
  4. Writing "properly" takes a great deal of organisation  and time  - both to write and to imagine the world that you are going to write about. (I also think that this is true of non fiction writing as well)
  5. CS Lewis was really very, very good at what he did.
  6. When the lady leading the seminar informs a room full of Christians that she would like them all to get up and dance to Mud's Tiger Feet to illustrate her point that writing needs a brain and a brain is a part of the body and therefore responds well to physcical activity, a good proprtion of the room would have rather scooped their own eyes out with a spoon. (I did better than I would usually do at this sort of thing. Firstly because I was at the back and secondly, it is a little known fact that when I was twelve in the early seventies, I loved Mud and was actually engaged to Ray Stiles their bass gutarist. This was so little known that Ray Stiles was unaware of it as well but it was a nice nostalgic three minutes for me.)
Anyway, many thanks to Penelope Wilcock and Tony Collins for their kindness and for a thought provoking day and to everyone else who put the whole thing together. There is a possibility - however small, that this may have been quite an important day for me.

SHARE:

6 comments

  1. I wonder if you met this lovely woman - http://lucy-mills.com/ - a friend of mine, who is in the ACW. I suspect she may have shared your feelings about getting up to dance. One day I may pluck up the courage to join, but don't feel I am 'professional' enough yet.
    I hope it DOES prove to have been a significant day for you xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know Lucy but I do know some of her work. I don't think I saw her there. Trust me I didn't feel professional at all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's neat, that's neat, that's neat, that's neat, I really love your tiger feet . . . etc . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahahahaha! I could SO identify with your responses :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Always encouraging to know it's not just me :-)

      Delete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig