Sunday 23 August 2015

Ahem



Firstly, to address the elephant in the room. (Although why he would be interested in anything I had to say.....) The blogging or lack of. Nothing much to say really. I have just had two weeks annual leave. In three weeks our kids leave us to go to university. One to do his Masters back in York and the other to start university in Exeter. I decided (in a gradual way - I didn't make a speech or anything) not to blog. We were going to chill and spend time together as a family. We did very little - just spent the time. I'm glad I did it. I would do it again. So there you are. 

I was back at work last week which seemed to take me by surprise as usual. I have no idea why. The date is in my diary and it tends to be a Monday when I go back - especially if I had finished on a Friday. Anyway, library books were due back. It's a total pain paying fines but I have no-one to blame but myself. I tried to renew online but some sneaky person had put an order in for the Mary Berry book that I am borrowing. So on Friday I found myself dragging back to the library in the pouring rain muttering to myself that I was not going to take anything out this time - I have lots to read at home at the moment as well as stuff on the Kindle and all that. No need for any more on the pile - just no need. 
Twenty  minutes later I am in the queue to go to the little machine to check out four books and I realise that they are all about downsizing and clearing out clutter. Some may say that I had been divinely led but I think it was more likely that I was rushing to get back to buy some wine that I had promised someone for a garden party and was only able to look down one aisle.  

Bea Johnson's book is the first one that I read. I did it in about three sittings. (two and a half probably)  This book is full of things that I will probably never do. I cannot see me ever making my own mascara. Unless there is some kind of apocalypse and we are all living in the woods, I think it unlikely that I will go to Morrison's Fish Counter and ask them to put two salmon fillets in a glass jar that I have bought expressly for that purpose.(Apparently they are not very keen on doing this in supermarkets because it is a Health and Safety nightmare but if you are truculent enough they give in eventually) I also cannot see the day coming anytime soon when I am wiping my behind with my hand to cut down on toilet paper use. (To be fair, it was a very short lived  experiment in her house as well)

But...there is lots here to challenge you. Some stuff is dead easy. I have already cleared out my Inbox and unsubscribed myself away from lots of people that I have given my email address to. We were already using a bowl to collect water when we shower so I was quite smug about that. (Actually I think the only reason the family let me do that was on condition that I told NOBODY - oh well, never mind) There is lots of stuff about clothes and possessions generally. I have cleaned out my hang around the house T Shirts because supposedly no one needs 38 T Shirts. (They have sentimental value actually) I have been brutal and whittled them down to about 30. I am feeling very cleansed actually. I am off to order copious amounts of baking soda to whoosh out my drains - or something. 

SHARE:

4 comments

  1. Be warned! I returned my library books on decluttering just before our holiday. When I went in last week, one of the librarians stopped me and said 'how did you get on with those books?' Apparently she read them after me and wanted to compare notes! I dont really KNOW our library staff yet, and felt a little awkward discussing the tidying f ones knicler drawer with a virtual stranger. Bea Johnsons book is not in the dorset library catalogue, so I shall keep my loo roll, thankyou.
    btw, what did you DO with the shower water?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were lucky you could find a librarian - it's nearly all automated at our place now. Shower water? If my children are listening then I tell people I use it in the garden. If they are not within earshot I tell people what I really do which is use it to fill the cistern when I have flushed. I know, I know but water is so expensive in the South West, we have seen a real difference in our bills when we have taken extra care and I feel like I am doing a little bit towards environmental things you know? Just don't mention it to my offspring.

      Delete
  2. Oh. Not interested in these, then?
    http://www.boobalou.co.uk/product/reusable-wipes-basket-set-birds-of-norway/#.VdsTiSRCgb0

    Or these?
    http://www.boobalou.co.uk/product/huggally-wuggally-family-cloth-daisy-bird/#.VdsTvCRCgb0

    It's surprising how an idea can catch on ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arrrgh! Really? I'm sorry - I know I am weak and feeble but I just don't think I could.

      Delete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig