Monday 25 April 2016

They've Gone


Both FOWs have returned to their places of learning. We had a lovely week. Flippin' heck I ate a lot. FOW2 and my good self visited London. As it was her birthday treat she had stipulated no culture; as she was up to her eyeballs with all that at university. I was a bit worried about how seven hours in London would pan out if we could only go to Oxford Street. As it was, we made the train back with only fifteen minutes to spare. I must be more of a secret shopper than I thought.
We sat on the Tube on the way back - packed to the drawstrings with shopping bags. I only felt a smidgen of guilt when two anti-cuts protesters - placards and all - got on and sat in front of us. Should I have been doing something more substantial with my time? FOW2 reassured me that she had felt the same until said protester's terrible rainbow dreadlocks had meant that she had lost all her brownie points. Oh to be able to dismiss guilt so easily.
We also played host to Aged Parent for tea. I instantly became invisible as she spotted grandchildren, as is the way with most grandparents I suppose. FOW1 got a bit tetchy when she informed him that his face had filled out nicely and there was also a bit of a moment when Aged Parent pointed out that FOW2 was getting much better at expressing her opinion more forcefully. This was probably something to do with a conversation which, try as I might, I could not prevent, which was sort of about whether a boyfriend's career was more important than yours. Needless to say, they both had differing opinions about this. I cannot crush potatoes and stop World War Three at the same time. Male members of the family were conspicuous by their absence. 
Anyway, all things getting back to normal now. HOH and I ate our tea at the table tonight to celebrate the return to a quieter life. Not that we don't miss them like crazy. Haven't been to church for a couple of weeks, what with being away and everything. Am hoping that the Second Coming hasn't happened in my absence. Who would there be left to tell me? Anyway, if you were expecting to be taken and you are still here - give us wave will you.
SHARE:

6 comments

  1. I used to laugh when my darling mother told her grandchildren, in their twenties, that they had a)grown very tall, b)to be careful when driving/meeting young men/young women, and always to make sure to have some money with them. For running away? They were very patient as like all good children, they adored their grandma.
    Problem is, now I have grandchildren up to 26, I find myself doing the same dotty things.... But they still seem to love me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mother always told me to carry 10p in case I had an argument and needed to phone home for a lift. I know this shows exactly how old I am.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't worry, if you could remember being told to carry 4d to phone home you'd be bragging about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mine was always insistent on clean underwear 'in case you get knocked down by a bus'. I am hoping to turn into a grandmother as lovely as Elizabethd.
    I was horrified last week to discover it costs 60p to use a public call box [which was out of action anyway - I had to borrow the mobile of a complete stranger to make my urgent call]
    What makes you think just the churchgoers will be the ones to go at the Second Coming??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well there's a couple I know who I expect to get called up but you do make a good point.

      Delete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig